Friday, June 21, 2013

Yoga at the Top, Burj Khalifa: Now THAT was a Friday morning

Yoga at the Top of the Burj Khalifa. The blue mat is mine.
So I completely scrapped my weekend plans when I heard my friends were going to do this yesterday: a 7.30am yoga class on the observation deck of the tallest building in the world, courtesy of Fitness First.

Um, yes, I am in.
There were 33 of us gathered up there. It was slightly windy, a little bit, but not too, hot, and one of the best experiences I've ever had. Fran Diaz, the 31-year-old Fitness First trainer and yoga teacher who led the class, agreed. "It's really exciting, because it's like doing yoga at the top of the world," she said after class. "I couldn't even sleep last night. It's the icon of Dubai."

It was fun being inside Dubai Mall that early, to hear the morning sound test of the fire alarm and see the observation deck staff all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.

There are two more classes before Ramadan so hurry and book, as ours sold out. The organisers are working on plans to continue it weekly after the break. Dh125 for Fitness First members, Dh150 for non-members. Go to www.atthetop.ae to book tickets.

The view from my yoga mat. 

My view during savasana.

My friend Mo, doing a pretty good crow.
And me, doing my best Michael Bluth impression.

No comments:

How to be a happy expat

Because a cloud wall makes you want to take a selfie.  After 10 years living in the UAE, some of that time happy, some miserable and ...