Thursday, April 25, 2013

Dubai Golden Cup: World figure skaters come to Dubai Mall
















I very much want to attend this event, but cannot, so I am hoping someone reports back to me on all the awesomeness that ensues. I have never heard of this competition before (and indeed, actually attended the World Figure Skating Championships in London, Ontario, last month), but it is an International Skating Union-sanctioned event featuring 220 skaters from 20 countries over three days.

My favourite part of the description? The feats that will be seen "include spins, jumps, moves in the field, throw jumps and death spirals". Too bad, in my 10 years as a figure skater, the "move in the field" was one of those I never did manage to master.

Admission is free, so check it out! It runs today through Saturday, from 9.30am to 6.30pm. The guest of honour is two-time Olympic silver medalist from Russia, Irina Slutskaya.

No comments:

How to be a happy expat

Because a cloud wall makes you want to take a selfie.  After 10 years living in the UAE, some of that time happy, some miserable and ...