Thursday, August 26, 2010

Sweet, sweet daily Ramadan respite for those who do not fast

I was so happy to find a place that was serving food and drink during the day last weekend I snapped this pic in Jones the Grocer, also affectionately known as Jones the Robber for its outrageous prices. We all complain about them, but we love the place – it is regularly jam-packed and close to work and my apartment – and continue to pay. It is also a favourite of Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi. I've seen him there myself. Not during Ramadan, of course. 


Yes, those are my poached eggs in the forefront.


Ramadan is an interesting time to navigate a day off in the UAE, and it always makes me realise how much I organise my leisure time around food and drink. I think more so in Abu Dhabi in the summer, where much of it is spent in malls due to the hot hot heat outside. When I get up tomorrow, I imagine it will rule my activities. For example, there is no point trying to walk anywhere. It will probably be too hot (as I will have risen too late, again!) and not really safe anyway, as I couldn't rehydrate. Going to the mall would just be depressing: Starbucks is closed, as is any other outlet. I don't think I could make it through a movie without a sip of water, so I might miss a pivotal scene. As I've hoofed it on the treadmill during daytime trips to the gym at the One to One Hotel, it just looks odd to see people lounging on sun chairs around the pool, not eating or drinking a drop of anything. It seemed even more strange to me when I swept through the Abu Dhabi Mall food court just before iftar last week; all the outlets were open, food steaming and ready, with people were dotted at the tables - just waiting to order.

Anyone have any tips on places open and serving food during the day?

No comments:

How to be a happy expat

Because a cloud wall makes you want to take a selfie.  After 10 years living in the UAE, some of that time happy, some miserable and ...