Friday, April 3, 2009

And about the blog

One year in Abu Dhabi means one year keeping this blog - I forgot! I was already practised in the fine art of writing random bits of slightly entertaining nothingness online regularly, as I had kept a blog in Canada as part of my job for 18months previous.

I got used to it, and I liked it. But I've liked it even more here. And with the help of Google Analytics, every day I can check and see how many other people like it too. Some might say obsessively. I am chuffed to say it's getting close to 100 people a day... sometimes more, sometimes less, and though most are from the UAE and Canada, people are checking in from 50 other countries as well.

So how now Azerbaijan and Vietnam, Senegal and Bulgaria. I won't ask how you found the blog or why. I'll only say I'm glad you did. And thanks to everyone who pays a little bit of attention, now and then, and the others who take the time to make a comment or two. And to my good friends back home who read too, like Trish and JP and Tracy and Pam and Amber and Mike and Vanessa and Bethany and forgive me for anyone I forgot. I miss you guys, tons.

And although I have yet to land a book deal - and curse the rolling ball of negativity who planted that idea in my head (joking Auckland!) - it's my tiny passion nonetheless, and that is a good thing to have in this world, especially so far from home.

Cheers,
AM

8 comments:

JP said...

xoxo

nzm said...

Congrats on the year - both blog and living in AD!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations one year on. I lived in the UAE for for some time and read your blog daily). I've just returned to my homeland, but I still check your posts from time to time. After experiencing life in the UAE for myself, I can certainly relate to your comments. I particularly enjoyed your post about the pedicures - I used to tip them heavily too, but always felt profoundly sorry for the girls being so far away from their families. I was far away from my family too, so I knew exactly how they felt. I'll look forward to reading your future posts.

Trish said...

Congrats Ann! I miss you too...

Anonymous said...

For every hit you register there are many that are not counted b/c people (like me) use bloglines and such. I think you can comfortably multiply your readers by 2 and that'd be closer to reality.

Mike Davis said...

Keep on keep'n on AM !!!! I'm a fan.

globalgal said...

Just wanted to delurk to say I've enjoyed your blog. I read it through Google Reader, though, so my "visits" don't get registered. I'm here very randomly, I'm just an American in China who wanted to know more about the UAE! Congrats on your year of blogging!

Pam said...

Hi AM,

Still reading the blog religiously! We miss having you here, but enjoying living vicariously through you. :)

Looking forward to brunching at Lieutenants again somedday....

xoxo

How to be a happy expat

Because a cloud wall makes you want to take a selfie.  After 10 years living in the UAE, some of that time happy, some miserable and ...