Thursday, November 4, 2010

Camp Mirage: A $300 million moving bill

I don't profess to know very much about diplomacy, but it is kind of hard to imagine that the Canada-UAE spat has come to such an expensive and childish conclusion. It reminds me of when I used to play with my neighbour as a kid: it always ended with one of us slinking home, in tears. Usually me.


From a story by Jane Taber in Friday's The Globe and Mail:

The Canadians were forced to close the base – they officially left this week – as a result of a dispute with the UAE over landing rights at Canadian airports. In retaliation, the source said, the Prime Minister’s Office is banning cabinet ministers from flying Emirates and Etihad Airways, the state-backed airlines involved in the feud.

I've not often defended the actions of Prime Minister Stephen Harper (although I've found myself doing so more than I would have thought) but I imagine it's been no treat negotiating with the UAE. I imagine the conversation went something like this:

UAE: We want to land in Canada 7 days a week.

Canadian: I'm sorry, that is just not possible. It will be too detrimental to the already shaky business of our own national carriers – who are struggling in a crowded field amid a continuing economic downturn.

UAE: Do you like Camp Mirage?



2 comments:

nzm said...

Let's hope that they don't also start ejecting Canadian citizens out of the UAE too, eh?

Anonymous said...

kick canada out of all the the Gulf Area.

they use a Muslim country to destroy another Muslim country

its high time the Gulf countries stop being nice guys.

How to be a happy expat

Because a cloud wall makes you want to take a selfie.  After 10 years living in the UAE, some of that time happy, some miserable and ...