It's the stuff they don't censor that always makes me laugh

Living in the UAE is interesting for a thousand reasons, but I'm not sure I will ever get used the random cuts that are made on television shows. I am always left saying 'hey!' at kisses that last one second – the finale of Bridget Jones' Diary, for example, I know that kiss went on forever – or whenever two people who were talking suddenly end up sweaty and laying down. A friend told me the word "Hanukkah" was cut out of an entire episode of Friends, the one where Ross can't get a Santa suit so he dresses up as "the Holiday Armadillo", making it extra hilarious because he just mouths it over and over.

But I giggle at all the other stuff that slips through. Like in a hip clothing shop, where the blaring music is full of swear words and sexy talk. Or the commercial with a woman strolling through her living room clad in a thong. Although the Sex and the City movie never played here, I managed to find a graphic copy of a book issued to go along with it, complete with an in-the-buff picture of Samantha's next door neighbour and some of the film's raciest dialogue. In the supermarket. I saw the Ben Stiller movie Tropic Thunder and though I have no way of knowing what was cut out of it, I was quite shocked at all the stuff they left in. And then of course, there is the violence. Saw IV is due to play on television here, and I can never find a movie I want to see at the cinema because the selections are always mostly mayhem and violence.

Comments

Abid said…
Start watching Indian movies. There are always plenty of those playing.

Popular posts from this blog

The unofficial guide to buying a used car in Abu Dhabi

Why I love boric acid OR Cockroaches: 0 Me: 1

Who says there is no internet dating in the UAE?