Need a lady doctor appointment at the Women's Health Centre?

You better bring your passport. And marriage certificate. And a letter of permission from your husband. And this isn't for anything illegal, say a single woman trying to get birth control or treatment for her illegitimate pregnancy or something like that.

Just a regular, run 'o the mill appointment. A colleague has a disturbing, frustrating account of what went down, which should provide a little perspective on the state of women's health in the country. Having said that, I have been two to different lady doctors since arriving, a man and a woman, and although there were lots of questions about my marital status and nationality, I never felt as though I wouldn't get treatment or could be arrested. 


Popular posts from this blog

The unofficial guide to buying a used car in Abu Dhabi

Why I love boric acid OR Cockroaches: 0 Me: 1