Monday, May 10, 2010

Random jumble of questions about life in the UAE

Even after two years living here, I am amazed at all that goes on around me that I don't understand. Here are just a few things that make me go 'hmmmm'.

Why do people keep the plastic on their car seats, forever?
How can people loudly honk at you, then be smiling like it was the most natural thing in the world when you turn to look at them?
What is that woman dipping – a large lima bean? A little pita? – into that white goo on the television commercial on MBC4?
Does anyone who takes the double decker bus tour of Abu Dhabi like it?
Why does WAM, the state news agency, so frequently report on developments in South Korea?
What do people do with all the soft jarred cheese on sale in the supermarket?
Why are there so many ladies of the evening in some bars, and so few in others?
Why are limes from India – the only ones I can get 3/4 of the time – so yellow and small and dry?
Why are restaurants so cold I can't enjoy my meal?
Why can't anyone make a decent martini?
Sandstorms? Really?
What does the horse and carriage offering rides outside Marina Mall – the one with all the UAE flag stickers all over it – have to do with Emirati heritage?
Why does Spinney's only have english muffins half the time?
Why are there no mailboxes to post my letters?

No comments:

How to be a happy expat

Because a cloud wall makes you want to take a selfie.  After 10 years living in the UAE, some of that time happy, some miserable and ...