1. Irish whiskey, not scotch.
2. When the Starbucks barista says "skim milk, ma'am", as those he's telling, rather than asking, it's time to get back to the freaking gym.
3. Hardware stores in Abu Dhabi rarely sell the hardware you are seeking.
4. Even moustaches start to look good, if you have enough time – ie all of "Movember" – to get used to them.
5. Again, to never give up: 13 months after completing a freelance assignment for the University of Ottawa, the cheque really was in the mail.
6. Bit torrent=just one more thing for a borderline OCD to obsess over.
7. Flying home for Christmas from this far away is very expensive.
8. If you leave a car in a parking lot for long enough, someone here will hit or scrape it.
9. Never try to drive anywhere in Abu Dhabi rush hour, between the hours of 2 and 8pm.
10. Mosquitos in the Middle East.