Wednesday, September 24, 2008
One more Shirley Valentine joke and I'm gonna...
... well, I won't do anything, actually. I am back after two weeks touring Athens and a few of the Greek islands. As always this trip – a glorious one – has left me with more questions than answers.
1) Why do so many tourists – wait, make that people – have issues with waistband placement?
2) How is it possible to be so far from one's home and yet still be dogged from place to place by an assortment of irritating characters, the sort who grow progressively more annoying with each unwanted encounter?
3) How could it take a couple of intelligent adults almost 10 days to realise they are being charged for the bread that appears on their table at each meal, bread they do not even want for caloric reasons, but that they gobbled down each time nonetheless?
4) How could someone wait so very many years before experiencing the pure joy that comes with renting a moped?
5) How could that person not realise that with their very round, extra large helmet and aviator sunglasses, she looked very much like a nerdy state trooper?
6) If the sea is so powerful and restorative, why can't we all live near it?