Friday, October 31, 2014

A Canadian in Abu Dhabi says Happy Halloween

All the ladies who work at Tips N Toes in Marina Mall were done up like this.

There are so many changes in Abu Dhabi since I moved here in 2008, but one of the biggest is the explosion in interest in Halloween (mostly commercial, of course). That year there was basically no sign (that I saw) that anything was out of the ordinary on October 31. This year the stores have gone crazy, restaurants and bars are in on the fun, and kids are actually trick-or-treating. 

I thought I saw my first costume a couple of minutes ago at Waitrose, but it turns out it was just the doorman from the Eastern Mangroves Promenade in his top hat and tails buying some water for his break.

If you don't have anything to do tonight, we drew up a pretty exhaustive list. I am just putting on some heels and going out for a steak, as I am still traumatised by my attempt at dressing up up like Hank from Breaking Bad last year. 

No, you can't see a picture. I had the yellow meth suit right, but it turns out you can't buy a gas mask or anything like one anywhere in the UAE, and since I felt my costume hinged on the mask pushed up atop my head, a la Hank, I ordered one off the internet. I looked like a childish fly. 

Have fun out there. 



1 comment:

Hanine said...

You gotta love tips and toes. So clean so professional. It is the highlight of my month when I go there.

How to be a happy expat

Because a cloud wall makes you want to take a selfie.  After 10 years living in the UAE, some of that time happy, some miserable and ...