Tuesday, February 16, 2010

What is this place, Ca-na-da?

The true north strong and free is in the spotlight in a major way, what with Vancouver hosting the Winter Olympics. I am in a depression, for lack of being able to have good long watches of the events and having to make do with pitifully unsatisfying internet moments. Why and how do websites know where I am, and block their frosty footage from my homesick eyes? Anyhoo, someone sent me these questions, which were found on an "international tourism website". I'd do some legwork and find it, as I doubt it exists. But a favourite Canadian, smart comedian Rick Mercer, went south a couple of years ago for a few specials called Talking to Americans; what he turned up proves the questions below are not that far-fetched.

Sort of reminds me of an Aussie colleague who asked if Alberta was in Calgary. :)

Q: I have developed a new product that is the fountain of youth. Where can I sell it in Canada ? ( USA )

Q: Can you tell me the regions in British Columbia where the female population is smaller than the male population? ( Italy )

Q: Do you celebrate Thanksgiving in Canada ? ( USA )

Q: Are there supermarkets in Toronto and is milk available all year round? (Germany )

Q: I have a question about a famous animal in Canada , but I forget its name. It's a kind of big horse with horns. ( USA )

Q: Will I be able to speak English most places I go? ( USA )

Q: I have never seen it warm on Canadian TV, so how do the plants grow? (England )

Q: Will I be able to see Polar Bears in the street? ( USA )

Q: I want to walk from Vancouver to Toronto - can I follow the Railroad tracks? ( Sweden )

Q: Is it safe to run around in the bushes in Canada ? ( Sweden )

Q: Are there any ATM's (cash machines) in Canada ? Can you send me a list of them in Toronto , Vancouver, Edmonton and Halifax ? ( England )

Q: Can you give me some information about hippo racing in Canada ? ( USA)

Q: Which direction is North in Canada ? ( USA )

Q: Can I bring cutlery into Canada ? ( England)

Q: Can you send me the Vienna Boys' Choir schedule? ( USA )

Q: Do you have perfume in Canada ? ( Germany )

No comments:

How to be a happy expat

Because a cloud wall makes you want to take a selfie.  After 10 years living in the UAE, some of that time happy, some miserable and ...